Good Day,Please can you provide advice. ...

Asked by ShellyG on 09-08-2019 21:54:51
Question posted in the Immigration Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 100.00

Good Day,

Please can you provide advice. I was reading through the requirements for international travel with a minor and saw that a letter of consent is not required when the custodial parent has sole custody. I am unsure of whether this applies to me. 

The exact wording in my divorce order states "the parties shall maintain joint guardianship of the minor child, and custody of the minor child shall be awarded to the plaintiff" (the plaintiff being myself). 

Does this grant me sole custody and would I need my son's father's consent when travelling and obtaining my son's passport?

Thank you for your assistance.

Kind regards,

Shelly Guile

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.