Hi I registered a company and purchased ...

Asked by Vanessasmith on 21-06-2017 22:31:23
Question posted in the Intellectual Property Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 300.00


I registered a company and purchased a domain name legally in South Africa and have been receiving threats from lawyers of an American company telling me to change the name or they will see me in court because they have patents registered in several countries. They also said they hired a private investigator to find me. 

Can I be forced to change the name of my company even though it was legally registered in South Africa?

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 09-07-2017 17:17:09

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Legally you can't be forced to change the name unless the American company has a registed trade mark in South Africa. Trade marks are territorial in nature, which means that you need to register the trade mark in every country that you want to use the trade mark in!

The exact answer to your question depends on the name of the company, and your products that you are selling, and whether or not you are actually trying to trade on their name, or just with a company with the same name. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.