Do you need to register with SARS when s...

Asked by Jibil12 on 29-05-2020 18:45:52
Question posted in the General Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

Do you need to register with SARS when starting a small bed and breakfast earning less than R1m a year?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 30-05-2020 11:05:33

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

If you mean register for VAT, then no because you are earning less than R1m per annum.

If you mean register for income tax, then yes, you will need to register the business as a provisional income tax payer and submit income tax returns. 

What you can also do (which is allowed for small businesses) is to register for small business tax, which is all of the taxes rolled into 1 easy to manage system!

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.