Good day I am a Landlord who is dealing ...

Asked by SiphokaziN on 07-08-2020 16:38:48
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day 

I am a Landlord who is dealing with a non paying tenant, the lease expired last year and the tenant stopped paying 2 months ago stating Covid19 business closure. The flat was poorly maintained unfortunately and now the tenant is using that to not pay the debt. Will my case stand in court? 

Kind regards 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 15-08-2020 20:08:24

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Yes, you will have a good case in court. Especially since the flat is residential, not commercial property. 

Just because the lease expired doesn't mean that the tenant doesn't need to pay rent. The lease continues on a month-to-month basis until formally cancelled, and the tenant must keep paying rent until he leaves. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.