Good morning.I purchased property and it...

Asked by Irene on 18-08-2020 10:30:50
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Good morning.

I purchased property and it was registered on the 23rd of March 2020. The developers failed to evict the tenant before the property was registered in my name and apologized for it and said the tenant would be served with an eviction notice at the end of March. 

The country was put under lockdown on the 27 March and the tenant was unable to move out. The developers emailed my agent and said they would pay me the occupational rent from the date of registration until the tenant is able to move out. The tenant then stayed until beginning of June. 

The rental cost was about R6500 a month and the developers have only paid an amount of R1836. They do not respond to my emails and do not attempt to communicate anything with me. 

Second issue is the purchase of the sectional unit included two appliances( a washing machine and a dishwasher). To date I have still not recieved the appliances and it has been five months since the purchase. 

I would like to know what legal recourse I can take to recover my both the appliances as well as the outstanding monies owed to me. 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 20-08-2020 11:19:42

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

If the property is registered in your name, YOU are the one who will need to go to court to get the tenant out. You can reach an agreement with the developer that the developer will pay for the legal costs, but you, as the owner, will need to do this.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.