Hi, I was nominated as the executor of m...

Asked by Godfreyb on 21-02-2021 15:46:58
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi,  I was nominated as the executor of my cousin's will. I did register the will with the master of the court. Then the spouse of my deceased reletive asked an attorney to gather all the information. The attorney called me on Friday informing me that the spouse asked him to stop gathering info. He gathered some info on the estate but she stopped him. He asked me if he must send me all the details . If so what is the next steps for me .The spouse is very hostile and uncoopreative ...what should I do in this case. G Billett

Further information relating to Question:

further I liked clarity on my role as executor ...the relative passed on in 2015.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 21-02-2021 16:02:46

Hi there and thank you for your question, 

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread. 

You need to administer the estate in terms of the Will! Have you ever administered an estate before? You might need to approach a lawyer and ask the lawyer (who knows estates!) to assist you with the administrative work, because it is not that easy!

Have a read of this article: https://stbb.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Steps-in-the-Estate-Administration-Process.pdf

This company can also assist: https://deceasedestatesadministration.co.za/

You can also ask your own lawyer to assist you. I can't refer you to a specific lawyer, but I can direct you to https://www.southafricanlawyer.co.za, where you can find a list of qualified lawyers in your area who will be able to assist you further!

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 21-02-2021 16:04:05

P.S. If the relative passed on in 2015, and you were appointed back then, then the wife is probably getting hostile because you haven't actually done your job!!! You are supposed to administer the estate quickly, without delay!

It might be a good idea to tell the Master that you resign as the Executor and ask the Master to appoint somebody else to do the work.

Otherwise, work with a lawyer to assist you, quickly! 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 21-02-2021 16:05:44

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.