I'm married in community of property. We...

Asked by Lloyd on 10-03-2021 14:18:21
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape

I'm married in community of property. We own a business, which is registered in my estranged wife's name. The business owns equipment, vehicles and the family home. She (with assistance of SAPS) removed a vehicle from the family home. She abandoned the matrimonial home in August 2020. The vehicle was my personal vehicle since purchased in 2017. The vehicle is in the SAPS pound. I need to get it back urgently because there is evidence that she is disposing assets of the joint estate. 

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 11-03-2021 20:03:34

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

If you are married ICOP, surely she is allowed to sell assets which form part of the joint estate?

Is the business operated by you guys personally, or through a company?

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.