I have a house at Kelderhof Country Vill...

Asked by Anonymous on 04-02-2015 21:30:18
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 0.00

I have a house at Kelderhof Country Village Estate Croydon Somerset West. My wife and I still work in Namibia and the house is used as a holiday home until we go on pension.

In December 2013 I received a water account for R6 185.18 for 240 000 litre water usage within 28 days. After querying the account I was advised to call a plumber to check for any possible leaks. Being a reasonably newly built home I immediately arranged for a plumber to do a thorough investigattion and the result was that there were no leaks to be found. I then paid a further R1320.00 to the Somerset West Muncipality to have my water meter replaced so that they could check the old one for any malfunctions. For 8 ensuing months I received no feed back even after making a number of enquiries and continuously being told they would get back to me once they had a result. Eventually in October 2014 I personally went to the Somerset West Municipal offices to inquire about my meter and was told they would come back to me. In December 2014, having once again heard nothing further, I went back to the Municipal offices to inquire again about my water meter. On the 23 December I received a call telling me that there had been nothing wrong with my water meter.

To date I have not received any formal invoices or written statement on what was checked on the meter. I personally feel I was told there is nothing wrong with the meter just to close the case and get me off their back.

It is highly impossible for a house to use 240 000 liters of water in 28 days when there are no leaks. All my outside taps have locks on them when I am not at the house. I am a pensioner and feel that this sort of incident should not be left without answers. What is to stop them doing this to other customers or to me again. What further steps can be taken to follow this up and to protect oneself from being overcharged for water consumption one could not possibly have used.
Please advise.......

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.