Hi Trust you are well. I would like to k...

Asked by mamabnt on 01-04-2016 09:28:05
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Gauteng


Trust you are well.

I would like to know if I have a legal standing regarding my case.

I am a autopage cellular customer and have a vodacom line with them. I registered for a top up contract with in in April last year. I know I specifically asked for a top up becuase I did not want the risk of high chargers.

In November last year I increased the top up to 2gp per month, I was advised that the amount that would go off my account would be around R1073 per month on the top up. I agreed and in the months that followed, this is the amount I have been changerd.

In March I received an invoice of about R20,000, this was not per usual and I contacted autopage for clarity as to what this related to. The invoice they send me indicated it was for :DATA USAGE. I did not understand why they would permit that to happen as I specifically asked for a top up and been receiving a top up from Nov 2015 - Feb 2016.

I then realised that my contact with Altech had been handed over to Vodacom due to the sale of Altech Auto, not sure if this is what caused the issue.

I would like to know if there is any legal recourse for this as I did not request an open line for data and the contact I signed was for a top up amount. Which means the data would run out if I went above the amount that was allocatted to me in that month.

Thank you for your advice

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.