I would like to get full guardianship of...

Asked by LJ Moeng on 04-05-2019 09:25:41
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Limpopo

I would like to get full guardianship of my son. His father and I were not married and he hardly if not never helps with finances when it comes to the child. I am about to start traveling in and out of South Africa due to work and was advised by a social worker to register my parents as foster parents. I think gaining full guardianship will make looking after my son much easier as i will be able to look after my son without obstacles. As is I can not travel with my son without getting his father’s consent and yet he hasn’t been to see him in a while and hasn’t helped with this months expenses Can I gain full guardianship?

-my son is 13 months old. 

-his father has only assisted with 2 months payment of those 13mnths 

- the months he payed were not paid on time

-I currently have no income for the time being as I wait for my work permit to be processed for my next job

-the father has decided not to contribute for the current month (without communication)

- I have previously taken the father to a social worker to assist in giving us common ground

-the father has not come to see his son in two months

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 04-05-2019 09:52:47

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Guardianship is an adults’ right and responsibility to: Manage a child’s interests; Manage any assets or financial aspects of the child’s life; Assist the child in legal or contractual situations; Give consent to the child’s medical treatment, marriage or adoption; and more importantly for you, to Give consent for the child to travel out of South Africa

The upper guardian of all South African children, however, is the High Court. For that reason, the High Court can be approached to intervene, if a guardian is not fulfilling their duties. Considering all presented facts and, perhaps even calling upon the Family Advocate or other legal representative, the High Court can terminate a guardianship and transfer care of the child to another person or parent. 

You can therefore apply to the High Court and ask the Court to terminate the father's guardianship based on whatever reasons you have. However, there is a risk that the High Court will NOT terminate the father's guardianship  if he "sometimes" pays maintenance, and "sometimes" comes to visit the child.

The only other way is for the father to give up his parental / guardianship rights - but you'll need to convince the father to do that for the child's benefit. What if the father decides that he doesn't want to do this? Then you are stuck.

Getting full guardianship for your son will really help you in day-to-day life and travelling, but it might be impossible to achieve if you can't convince a Court and if the father will not agree to your request.

I think that you should speak to the father about this, and once you've found out if he is willing to give up his parental rights for the child, then you should speak to a social worker (or a legal aid lawyer) for assistince in filling in the right forms.

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

Answer Accepted

This answer was accepted on 05-05-2019 05:29:20

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.