My husband has been working in Africa fo...

Asked by Nicole on 01-12-2019 08:42:51
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Eastern Cape
Question value: R 100.00

My husband has been working in Africa for the past year and recently lost his job due to not fulfilling his job requirements because he was having an affair and trying to help his mistress find a job. He also used up all our savings money once he lost his job to put himself and his mistress in a hotel. We have 3 kids and his infidelity broke us all. Our 11 year old son tried taking his own life and our 16 year old daughter started self harming, whilst our 21 year old daughter cut him off. He came home briefly after being fired and begged for us back but refused to leave his mistress, which was and is something my children and I cannot accept. My children and I moved to my mother in the Eastern Cape a few weeks ago and he has since apparently found a new job in the Congo or Tanzania and has left for it. He keeps contact when he feels like it but is no father figure, more of an absent one. I do not have matric or any qualifications to find a job to support my family and thus we require financial aid from him. I want a divorce but he doesn't. I need to know if I can divorce him without having his work or home address or knowing his salary. I would also like to know if he would have to support us financially in the ways he said he would, as well as who would have to cover the divorce costs. 

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.