My fiance and I want to get married soon...

Asked by AnuskaV on 27-02-2020 20:36:36
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Mpumalanga
Question value: R 150.00

My fiance and I want to get married soon, but he does have a child with his previous wife, and he did contribute a while back towards child support, I want to know what will happen if we are married and he passes away, will I be liable to pay child support, what will happen to our joint estate? 

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 28-02-2020 12:18:58

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

If you get married in community of property, and he dies, then your joint estate will be divided in 2.

Your fiance's child will be able to make a claim against his piece of the joint estate. 

So, if he leaves his half of the joint estate to you, you might not be able to actually receive it because of the claim against it!

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.