Good day i require legal advice. a summo...

Asked by JanineC on 24-06-2020 09:14:21
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

Good day 

i require legal advice. a summons has been sent for divorce.

couple has been together for about 20 years, 4 children. the husband was supporting the family for most of the relationship, but lost his job about 18 months ago. now the wife has filed for divorce. the property they are staying in, they are renting but the lease is in the name of the husband only. would like to know if the property will be aprt of divorce proceedings, and can the husband keep renting the property, does the court decideds who rents the property..... 

with regards to pension - wife has requested 50% of husband pension. is is possible for husband to offer less of the pension as he was supporting her throughout the marriage - she is currently employed

can the husband request 50% of her provident - pension? 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 04-07-2020 21:32:21

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Only assets which are owned by the couple will be part of the divorce proceedings. Not a flat which is being rented. The court won't decide anything in relation to the flat. Yes, the husband can continue renting it.

Regarding the pension - it depends how the couple is married. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.