Good dayI signed a lease earlier this mo...

Asked by BlkAnthem on 14-07-2020 15:08:19
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day

I signed a lease earlier this month and I am due to move in 1st of August. I have already paid deposit however I am having second thoughts about moving in. I have not recieved the signed copy from the landlord either. Is there a way to cancel the agreement?

Thank you. 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 18-07-2020 01:01:50

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

In terms of section 14(2) of the Consumer Protection Act, you are entitled to cancel a fixed term agreement, which includes a lease agreement, by giving the landlord 20 business days' notice. 

Furthermore, if you know that the landlord has not yet accepted the lease, then you can withdraw your offer to lease before he signs it. But if he finds out that you want to withdraw the offer to lease, I'm sure that he will "quickly" sign it and back-date it a few days. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.