Good Day, Since lockdown my husband has ...

Asked by Cherrybomb on 06-08-2020 10:45:18
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Gauteng

Good Day, Since lockdown my husband has not received a salary and he cant claim UIF as his boss has not registered him. We did inform the property manager. She said we must pay what we can which we have been doing and when things get back to normal we can catch up. My husband has also sent messages keeping them update regarding his work situation. But to our surprise last night just after 18h00 they disconnected our electricity. We have 2 kids in the house and one is a diabetic and her insulin has to remain cold. Are they allowed to do this during lockdown ? 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 15-08-2020 20:03:25

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

No, they can't take the law into their own hands. 

What you need to do is to go to the Magistrates Court and apply for a court order forcing the landlord to turn the electricity back on. It is called a Spoliation Application or a Mandament Von Spolie. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.