I am renting out a unit, and it turns ou...

Asked by LindiweBP on 14-08-2020 14:07:32
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Free State

I am renting out a unit, and it turns out that the rental i paid went to wrong account which i understand is my fault. however the agency did not communicate with me at any point that the rent for the month is still due. instead they have been communicating with my partner who failed to disclose all this to me. They went on to cut off the electricity and lock me out of the apartment and claim that i can only be granted access upon paying the full rent, which i have to pay double even if i will not be at the property due to this missed payment. I also paid up a security payment which is twice the rent amount when i moved to the property. My question is do they have a right to cut my electricity and lock me out without properly communicating with me. And am i able to ask that they use a portion of my deposit until month end when i can repay what was taken from the rental security.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 20-08-2020 11:13:02

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Legally, they are not allowed to cut off the electricity or lock you out of the apartment. This is called an illegal spoliation, and you can get a court order (in the Magistrates Court) to force the landlord to give you access again.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.