Good day.Please could you let me know wh...

Asked by MichaelH on 25-08-2020 16:11:30
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day.

Please could you let me know whether "force majeure" would be an option for cancelling the lease agreement for a student who is unable to attend university due to the COVID restricitions and thereby not residing in the leased premises.  A force majeure clause in not in our contract and the contract runs for the a full term of 1 January to 31 December 2020.

Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 26-08-2020 15:58:23

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

I don't think so, because you can still occupy your leased premises to live in even if the university is closed. What does the university being closed have anything to do with you not being able to live in your leased premises. 

OR, is the leased premises on campus?

Are you currently living there?

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.