In 2006 there was a verbal agreement bet...

Asked by Marlon on 09-09-2020 12:13:47
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

In 2006 there was a verbal agreement between myself, my mother and my sister in regards to our family home where my mother wa staying alone in. I was married and had my own place and my sister had her own house. We agreed to the following below and my sister to have made the arrangements as she wanted the house.

1) I to be paid half the value of the house (2) My mother to live with my sister and for her to take care of our mother (3) The house cannot be sold without me having first consideration to buy it (4) My mother to pay insurances etc and my sister to pay the bond as new bond taken out.

Surprisingly in 2007 i receive a cash deposit in my account of R15 000.00 with my sister name as a reference to which i called her and she advised it is my half of the agreement in writing between evaluation or confirmation given to value of property or any type of formal contract....all the above was suppose to be drawn up by my sister and it never happened. My mother paid the transfer costs but the house is still on my mother name and she sees to sister only pays the bond and have threatened to "make sure you are in the street"

I have recently moved back to my mother place as i am going through a divorce and i am acting on behalf of myself and my mother.

I am not sure if the statute of limitations applies to this or if anything can be done but i would like the rights of my mother and myself to be respected.

My mother and i have our affidavits available confirming the agreement as well as relevant documents to have this legally documented and wish to maybe take thngs further if we are alowed to do so.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 10-09-2020 09:51:22

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You need to go see a lawyer, now, because what you are explaining needs to be backed up with documents and affidavits. It appears that there is a full story which needs to be explored. I can't do this via this website.

I can't refer you to a specific lawyer, but I can direct you to, where you can find a list of qualified lawyers in your area who will be able to assist you further!

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.