Hi I want to find out something. My fath...

Asked by ElsieS on 20-10-2020 09:18:06
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Limpopo


 I want to find out something. My father passed away last year Ocktober. He left a will that state that we (children) gets everything.  There was a woman staying with him at the time of his death. They were not married. Can she refuse to give us our fathers stuff. I am the executor of the estate with assets. She doesn't wants to talk to me at all. 

He also received pension every month when he retired from work. Now she gets the money. My father did not made her beneficiary to receive the money. She wrote a letter after my father died to the pension fund and says that she is financially dependant of my father, but she still receives her late husbands pension as well as SASSA pension. So my question about the pension is , can she get my fathers money also. She was not financially dependant of my father. Her money was more than my fathers pension. Is it legal what she did.


078 103 4541

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 21-10-2020 15:03:11

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

As the executor, you NEED to take control of your late father's assets. You need to physically go there and take control of the assets and deal with any other property in your late father's estate. 

If he died, then the pension must stop. You need to advise the pension company otherwise they will have a claim against the ESTATE for a refund of the pension payments. By letting them continue making payments to the lady, you are putting the estate at risk!

If there was a life policy which pays out on death, this lady might be financially dependent!

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.