Good day,We own property in KakamasNC.We...

Asked by Anonymous on 06-01-2021 13:16:18
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Northern Cape

Good day,

We own property in Kakamas/NC.

We rented out one of our buildings for R8000/month to Capetonian guys that wanted to do recycling but they are hardly here. The contract is for 1 year starting from 1 March 2020. FYI, the contract also says that it will automatically renew itself on the 11th month into the contract for another year.

They now owe R53000.00 (incl Jan 2021). This means that they will owe R61k till contract end. I have asked them whether they are still coming and if they'd like to continue with recycling/renting. They answered 'yes'.

If they don't give up the rent at end Jan 2021 then they bound for another year. This means that it will push their debt well over the R157'000.00.

I probably don't have to tell you about the finer details regarding the chain reaction this creates and that I could have rather rented it out to paying tenants.

HOWEVER, they have a brand new 'recycling press machine' worth R150k standing here.

What am I to do?

I also don't have money for a lawyer and the contract clearly states that they are and will be liable for any/all legal costs.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.