Hi there,A friend of mine was recently c...

Asked by riaan.louw on 14-06-2021 10:11:41
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi there,

A friend of mine was recently court ordered and I would like to know what the legality of the order is if his particulars on the order is incorrect? All we have is a 2 page document with a file number and his name on it where his name (Surname in particular) is spelt incorrectly and there is nothing on the document otherwise that identifies himself as the one to be ordered.

The court order is to order him involuntarily into a rehabilitation facility and consists of Section 35(7), Section 39(1) - this is scratched out and Section 41.

He has been to the center for the 3 weeks in-patient treatment but now needs to be under observation for the remainder of 12 months. He is of firm belief that1. The statements issued to court holds no validity as it is based on hear-say and that no one ever witnessed him take any drugs or do anything that was said he has done2. The statements are inaccurate and untrue

Thank you much in advance and kind regards,Riaan

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.