My father passed away about 10 years ago...

Asked by Johnathan Gertzen on 15-03-2022 12:45:05
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

My father passed away about 10 years ago and my mother passed away last year February. The house couldn't be transferred on to my mother's name due the water debt of R60 000. The "will" that my mother made out, is that considered a Legal Will since the house was NOT on her name?

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 20-03-2022 08:59:35

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

Is the house still then registered on your father's name? In his estate? What did his executor's do in relation to the house? Why didn't they use some money from the estate in order to pay the water bill so they could then transfer the house into your mom's name?

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.