My friend's house was reposessed by the ...

Asked by Sam on 24-03-2022 10:07:44
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Free State

My friend's house was reposessed by the bank in around 2006.  Property was sold on auction. He never received further correspondence regarding payment of any shortfall after the sale in execution from anyone, except for a phone call now and then in the past.  He received a call from an attorney about payment of the shortfall and he did not admit to anything.  Is he still liable after such a long time?  His name is not even listed under any credit bereau.


Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 05-04-2022 18:08:54

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

If the property was repossessed, then it was done through a court order, and court orders are valid for 30 years - meaning that the bank has 30 years (from the date of the court order) to come after your friend for the shortfall.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.