Good morningHope all is well. I need som...

Asked by willieb on 29-03-2022 10:58:15
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Good morning

Hope all is well. I need some advice please. I started working for a company in PTA on the 31st of January this year and ended the relationship on the 17th of March. In this time I have not received any contract or pay slip even after requesting this on a continuous basis. Now the employer is threatening me with not paying me due to not doing a handover of tasks which in turn was not done with me when I started. Is this legal? What are my options in this matter?

Best Regards 

Willie Boshoff


Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 03-04-2022 23:16:01

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

No, the employer is required to pay you your salary if you did the work. What you can do is to sue the company in the small claims court or the magistrates court. Otherwise, why don't you do the handover and then get paid.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.