Can I sue a debt counsellor who placed u...

Asked by Mogapi on 29-12-2022 10:08:10
Question posted in the National Credit Act Law category relating to Gauteng

Can I sue a debt counsellor who placed us under debt review without consent with devastating consequences. The problem started in 2020 and the counsellor only applied for debt review in 2022, which was rejected by the courts on 22 July. The order was for the counsellr to update the the status on the credit bureaus but the status quo remains. The counsellor was found guilty for the same offence by National Credit Regulator and the National Consumer Tribunal which ended in a compromise by NCR and fined the counsellr instead of deregistration. I have lost oprtunities in life and have since been diagnosed with a dread disease but cannot resign from employment as the debt and medical bills ballooning to insummountable hieghts. Tried opening a case with the police for fraud and contept of court without success. Went to the court where the order was given but was told that there is nothing bore they can do but to get an attorney, which I cannot afford. Kindly advise!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.