Dear SirMadamI filed a complaint against...

Asked by Linda55600 on 01-11-2023 11:04:47
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape

Dear Sir/Madam

I filed a complaint against my lawyer which is under investigation with the Law Society. My lawyer has been sending me a Notice of Withdrawal as Attorneys of Record,  and states that I must acknowledge this notice.

As I have lost all trust in her I have not acknowledged this. Will it be okay if I acknowledge. 

Thank you

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 01-11-2023 11:52:48

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Please keep in mind that our discussions is for general information purposes only. Our engagement on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. 

When you terminate a lawyer's mandate to continue acting on your behalf, it is a requirement in terms of the Rules of Court that the lawyer files a Notice of Withdrawal as Attorney of Record, in respect of any litigation which the lawyer is representing you for. 

There is no requirement that you sign it, to acknowledge it, but in my opinion you should sign it (remember, it is just to acknowledge receipt) because otherwise the lawyer will submit a letter to court advising that they delivered it and you refused to acknowledge receipt. 

So yes, I would sign it to acknowledge receipt. 

There is no risk to you in signing it. 

Answer Accepted

This answer was accepted on 01-11-2023 12:08:57

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.