I went out for drinks at a local bar and...

Asked by Damien on 28-01-2024 18:26:07
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

I went out for drinks at a local bar and had a few drinks before heading over to this person's house. I was intoxicated when i arrived at her place.We ended up getting high as well and I don't remember going to bed but the person I was with said I passed out and when I woke up  I checked my phone to see the time and noticed a transaction off my account of R5000. I immediately phoned the bank and spoke to the fraud department and had them block and cancel my account. At first I thought someone had stolen my card as I couldn't find it at the time but later found it in my car. I then asked this person I was with later that same day if I sent her money last night and she replied:"yes do you not remember". I told her I don't remember anything or sending any money like that last night and if I did I surely would not have sent it as I needed this money to pay for my bills. She told me she has used the money already to pay for her rent and I asked her to give me the landlords number so that I can speak with him and explain my situation. She ended up blocking me on all social media accounts and refused to give the money back. I don't remember sending any money to this person hence why I contacted the fraud department when I awoke. I don't know what too do as I need those funds to pay for my bills and she refuses to give the money back. What can I do ?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.