I need advice from an attorney who is fa...

Asked by Anonymous on 26-02-2024 09:12:16
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

I need advice from an attorney who is familiar with the Mirror Trading Internantional liquidation case. I cashed out in 2020 when I became suspicious that the business was not a legitimate and received 0.0245 bitcoin. I deposited 0.0125 bitcoin when I opened my account. (I invested R 6000 and cashed out R 12000 giving me an approximate R 6000 nett gain)

I am now being requested to repay the 0.0245 bitcoin at todays rand exchange rate. This translates to R 24,500. 

This seems to be a complicated case and there is considerable litigation going on, but is seems the liquidators interpretation of the law on this matter, whilst exploitative, is valid. 

They have given me 10 days to settle the amount or they will issues a summons.

I investigated the possibility of negotiating a lesser settlement but their sworn affidavit form requires that I divulge all information about my current financial status.

My question is should I settle by paying out the requested amount, or is there some way I can legally stall paying out while the court cases appealing this interpretation play out?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.