Are private schools allowed to force you...

Asked by Amanda on 29-03-2024 17:26:59
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

Are private schools allowed to force you to pay for a term your child missed?

We did not have any outstanding school fees payments, but because we missed one month by 3 days my kids were sent home and that's understandable as it is in the schools policy. But when I payed enough money to cover a two months school payment and asked of my kids coukd attend school the principal said no and said that we had to lay termly. But the schools policy also clearly suggests that we can pay monthly if needed. And when I then suggested that one of my children could come back as the money i paid was enough to cover a terms school fees for one child. The principal refused to have any of my kids back. And now that my kids missed the whole term last term I don't feel it's right that I pay that terms school fees, but the principle is saying that we are still liable to, but that doesn't make any sense and there should be a law against it.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.