The question is if my boss has a busines...

Asked by Rashida on 09-01-2019 08:04:53
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 150.00

The question is if my boss has a business tenant and he has defaulted in his rental for a 3 month period and his lease has expired in the end of December and has not been renewed and the said tenant has been given an eviction notice in December but refuses to vacate premises what can we do and are we within our rights to take legal action?

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 09-01-2019 08:35:42

Hi there and thank you for your question,

If it is a business tenant (and by that, I mean that the person is NOT living there; rather, that this person has rented the premises in order to trade from the premises) then you will need to apply to Court for an eviction order. 

You've already send the tenant an eviction notice, so that's good. You've explained to him that he needs to move out. The basis of this is that he didn't pay his rental, and that the lease has expired. 

In my opinion, and based on what you've said, the tenant won't have any defence to a Court application. There shouldn't be any dispute, especially since his lease has expired. 

So, you'd need to apply to Court (by way of an application -- possibly an urgent application) for an eviction order. The eviction order will then be given to the Sheriff of the Court, and the Sheriff will then go to the premises and physically remove the tenant. 

You are unfortunately not allowed to take the law into your own hands and remove the tenant yourself. That would be illegal, and the tenant could actually get a Court order forcing you to give him possession back! Simply becuase you didn't follow the correct Corut procedure. 

Since this is a business rental, I would suggest that you use an attorney to assist you in drafting the application. I can't refer you to a specific lawyer, but I can direct you to, where you can find a list of qualified lawyers in your area who will be able to assist you further!  Click here also --> Find a Law Firm in your area

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 09-01-2019 08:39:40

The Court application will need to be supported by an affidavit in which the full background of the matter is set out. Like a story of how this tenant became a tenant; a copy of the lease; what happened since then; why the tenant breached the lease; when the lease expired; what communication you had with the tenant; why the tenant won't move out; what notification did you give the tenant; how are you suffering as a result.

The lawyer will however be able to assist you with all of this, but it's good to get all of this together now in a story format to assist the lawyer in drafting!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.