Hi there. In August 2017 I started worki...

Asked by Venetia on 29-03-2019 06:53:50
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 100.00

Hi there. In August 2017 I started working at Vision works Optometrists and it states in my contract that I will have to travel to the Centurion branch 4 times a month. After a few months I realized that due to the working hours being so late, it was dangerous for me to continue traveling there due to the amounts of hijackings etc. I spoke to my employer about this and she told me that I would not need to travel to Centurion any longer. A year has passed and I have not been traveling to Centurion however just yesterday she says that I will be traveling to Centurion again from next week. I have explained that I will not be able to. Can I legally refuse? 

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 29-03-2019 09:56:57

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Yes, in my opinion you can legally refuse, but the answer might be a little bit more complicated than that.

When you spoke to your employer about not going to Centurion any longer, and she agreed, there could have been two outcomes -

1) Either, the agreement which was reached was that your original contract would be amended so as to remove your obligation to visit Centurion once a week;

2) Or, the agreement which was reached was that your original contract would be amended so as to remove your obligation to visit Centurion once a week for a certain period of time (e.g. for the next 6 months).

If you think that your discussions with your employer resulted in option 1) above, then in my opinion you can legally refuse.

If however you think that your discussions with your employer resulted in option 2) above, then in my opinion you can't legally refuse.

It all depends on what the agreement was.

If there was never any mention of the change being only for 6 months, or a year, and that after that period you would then need to visit Centurion again, then you have got good grounds to argue option 1).

Similarly, if you said that you didn't want to visit Centurion because of a spate of hi-jackings in the area, and the agreement was that "for as long as there are still hi-jackings, then you don't need to go", and now the Police have arrested a gang of hi-jackers, then you might need to go again...

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

Information provided by client

Hi Patrick , thank you for taking the time to answer me. My employer did not ammend my contract however she did say that I will no longer need to Travel to Centurion. And I have not travelled since for over a year.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 03-04-2019 09:10:06

If that is the case, then I would say that your employer has verbally agreed to amend your contract. The fact that you have not travelled to Centurion for over a year is proof of this.

If your employer tries to argue that the "amendment" is not valid because it was not reduced to writing, then you must reply that it was never agreed that it must be reduced to writing and signed by the parties, and that a verbal amendment is just as good as a written amendment.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.