I am in the process of buying property. ...

Asked by Confused&broke on 01-02-2021 22:34:02
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

I am in the process of buying property. After I signed the bond documents today, I was given an invoice for R24000, which I have to pay. I then contacted the seller's attorney and asked for their invoice. They e-mailed me an invoice for R29000. I don't have the money for those. What happens if I can't pay?

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 02-02-2021 11:13:47

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You are then going to be sued for breach of contract. i.e. the offer to purchase.

The seller's attorney (the transferring attorney) will need to be paid. You should surely have made enquiries as to the cost of transfer before you signed the OTP?

The bond attorneys, surely they will capitalise the bond costs into the loan? So you don't need to pay them up front?

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.