I contracted a carpenter to redo our kit...

Asked by Prince on 28-06-2019 19:45:50
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 150.00

I contracted a carpenter to redo our kitchen units, we paid him 90% of the amount (R27000) and he did half the job and disappeared, what legal recourse can we take.

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 28-06-2019 21:53:34

Hi there and thank you for your question,  

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

You need to sue him for cancellation of the contract and return of the portion of the contract price for the work that he has not yet done! i.e. if he has done 25% of the contract, he can keep 25% of the total contract price.

You can sue him in the small claims court - in fact, I would suggest that you issue a summons out of the small claims court because it is a LOT cheaper to run a trial there, and you can do it in the evening, instead of in the day. Also, you don't need a lawyer to represent you, and the procedure is a lot simpler!

The clerk at the small claims court can assist you with preparing the summons, and explaining how the sheriff needs to serve the summons on the carpenter.

The only thing is - you need to know where he lives!

You can also issue a summons out of the magistrates court, but it will be more costly and you'll most certainly need a lawyer to assist you. 

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

Information provided by client

Who will deliver the summons, the small claims court or I have to personally deliver them to him

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 29-06-2019 09:40:17

The sheriff of the court MUST deliver the summons if you want to comply with the rules of court. That is really what he does, so the sheriff knows exactly what needs to happen. You just need to give the sheriff the carpenter's address.

You can't deliver the summons. It won't be accepted by the court. 

The identity of the sheriff depends on the area. e.g. sheriff for JHB North; sheriff for JHB South; sheriff for JHB central; sheriff for Randburg; etc.

The clerk at the court (magistrates court, or small claims court) will be able to assist you in finding the right sheriff. 

Answer Accepted

This answer was accepted on 30-06-2019 19:14:11

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.