To whom it may concernI am currently doi...

Asked by Alesha on 20-12-2019 14:38:55
Question posted in the General Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal
Question value: R 0.00

To whom it may concern

I am currently doing my community service in the field of Radiation Therapy. I have taken 3 months maternity leave (January-March) which I was entitled to in terms of my employment contract as well as received approval from the ICSP.

According to my employment contract maternity leave does not in any way extend the period of community service as I am appointed at Addington from the 2 Jan to the 31st December even though I was on maternity leave for the first 3 months. I would like to receive clarity on this matter as the AD at Addington Hospital strongly believe that I should work 12 months before he can sign my HPCSA form.

In addition, one of my class mates who studied the same course as me is currently doing their community service in CPT. She only started in April because she was on maternity leave as well. According to her, her AD has signed her HPCSA form. I personally feel that it is unfair that one person is expected to work 12 months and the other can work 9 months. The rules should apply to everyone not only me.

Please note: The AD at Addington Hospital had already spoken to HR to extend my contract by 3 months, however they have indicated that the 3 months that I am employed at the hospital will be without pay as I had already been paid for the three months that I was on maternity leave.

I urgently need assistance as I am unaware what my plans for next year are.


Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.