Rental agreementHi. We've rented a unit ...

Asked by ChanelC on 28-01-2020 10:36:29
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 150.00

Rental agreement

Hi. We've rented a unit in a complex for about 3 years. The entry inspection was done. 22 days after moving in, we sent photos of all the little things we had picked up that were wrong. We requested the shower door be replaced and they replaced it 6 months later. We requested the window frames be replaced as the wood was old and falling apart - at some stage the window fell out and it took them 2 months to replace it. So needless to say, their process and service wasn't great but our rent was relatively cheap so we stuck it out.Since then we have moved out. An exit inspection was done, they sent is a list of defects they would be claiming for. We again sent them the photos to which they stated because this wasn't done within 3 days of moving in, we don't have a leg to stand on. After much debate, they changed their minds about what to claim for.A few days later we recieved communication again stating that the owner has done his own inspection and will be claiming R7000 odd rand to replace cupboard doors in the main bedroom. The damage was existing but it was minor and we didn't notice it at first so it wasn't noted on the entry inspection or on the exit inspection by Monarch, the rental agent.They are now taking this from our deposit and would like to know if they are allowed to do this?

Thank you in advance

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.