afternoonI need advice, if you paid main...

Asked by caroline on 25-02-2020 16:15:48
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Mpumalanga
Question value: R 100.00


I need advice, if you paid maintenance for children but one has finished matirc is 18 years old and working, why must you still pay maintenance?

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 26-02-2020 19:13:49

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Typically, you are required to pay maintenance for children until they reach the age of 18, or they are self-sufficient.

That means that you could have a situation where one of your children is 20 years old, and studying at University, and is working part-time and earning R3000 per month, and therefore is NOT yet self-sufficient. You will therefore need to continue to support that child.

Only once the child is self-sufficient, will the maintenance stop.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.