hi i just received a notice of defamatio...

Asked by michella on 18-03-2020 15:00:36
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

hi i just received a notice of defamation letter.  i did send a personal message to my soon to be ex brother in law (e-mail towards his e-amail address).

theyve been married for 14 years and she found out that last July he as at that time having and affair for 4 years.  After trying and seeking counceling she left on December 22/12/2020 with her two kids and just their clothes and came to stay with us.

its been a long journey (healing time).  they have 2 children of which i am also the Godmother.  The 16 year old daughter is on anxiety medication also now.  They are in the process of divorce but now once or twice week we see and hear of him and the woman he is having an affair with and driving her around in his family car and just having an open relationship but still denying it infront of his child and parents.  They are healing and trying to move on we as a family helped my sister and 2 children to move in their own house.

and on the 13 March i did send him an e-mail: and therefore the defamation of character notice and i am not on any other social media platforms with him. must i leave it like that or get a lawayer to respond

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.