Good day,I want to find out about the re...

Asked by Mario39 on 24-03-2020 14:51:06
Question posted in the National Credit Act Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal
Question value: R 0.00

Good day,

I want to find out about the repssession law.

I have a car that is going to be repossessed, but my mother-in-law uses the car. I bought the car so she could have a vehicle. Now the sheriff of the court tells me that if the vehicle is not on my property, they can open a case at the police. I am not hiding the vehicle, I am willing to give the address where the vehicle is, they just need to get the vehicle there as my mother-in-law lives in the Western cape, but I live in Kwazulu-Natal.

My question is, can they open a case against me?

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 26-03-2020 15:32:15

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

"Now the sheriff of the court tells me that if the vehicle is not on my property, they can open a case at the police." --> lies, all lies. There is no obligation on you to keep the vehicle on your property, or even to tell the sheriff where it is. The sheriff must find it. 

They can't open a case against you, because you have not broken the law. You didn't steal the car!

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.