Good day, I am a debt counselor by trade...

Asked by Anonymous on 19-12-2023 18:30:50
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape

Good day, 

I am a debt counselor by trade and conduct my business as a sole prop. 

About a year and a half ago a lady approached me to help me with the admin related to my debt counseling clients. She works full time for another debt counselor and offered to help me in her spare time. 

We do not have a formal written agreement between us, but we did agree to that I will pay her 50% commission on my aftercare fee and 60% commission on any new clients she brings in. 

At the beginning of this year she told me about a debt counselor who's registration with the NCR has lapsed and that she wants to transfer her clients to a debt counselor. I said yes, I will be interested. We agreed that she will get 50% of the aftercare fee of this clients. 

All went well till end November. I realized that I actually do not need to make use of her services as I can deal with the admin on my own. 

I told her I want to end our agreement and now she wants to sue me for lost of income as according to her we had a partnership agreement in place. 

She contributed to any of the costs involve in the running of the business. 

I am willing to meet her half way and give her 50%, but are not sure if I have to. 

Can you please advise. 



If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.