I'm living on a premises for over 30 yea...

Asked by Raviesh on 14-06-2020 09:31:38
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal
Question value: R 0.00

I'm living on a premises for over 30 years I have never knew there was a owner to that property until now maybe a month ago I pay the water and lights account I also maintain the land as it is a farm area , I always taught owner was no owner I used the land for farming etc and I'm also using the land for rural settlement development kind of thing to maybe develop small cheap one room houses for those who dnt qualify for house bonds and loans etc , now after over thirty years the so called owner comes and say to me he is selling the place and I should find myself another place and I must demolish my constructions coming up as he is getting buyers for his land even an estate agent came last week walks in and out of my house taking pictures and walk arround the property taking pictures without my consent and telling me that's she is authorised by the owner to sell the place and should move out and also demolish all other construction coming up on that property , after over thirty years I realise there is a owner whom I never met before or who never came to the place once .

Can you please advise me going forward as to what I need to do , do I move out demolish the constructions and my vegation which will basically bankrupt me and put me and my family out on the streets with no place to go and no source of income as I use some of the for farming that I gain an income from , so therefore if you could please advise me what's the way forward will be highly appreciated , also I believe that there is a law called common law ownership if I occupy that land and house for over 30 years uninterrupted but I'm not sure on how that law works or what's the way forward .please advise urgently.

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.