HiI went to lay a charge of Malicious Da...

Asked by Terry on 23-06-2020 12:23:30
Question posted in the Criminal Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 150.00


I went to lay  a charge of Malicious Damage to Property against a known person, who damaged my car in Hout Bay Harbour. That afternoon he accosted me and tried to stab me when I defended myself and tried to reverse my car away from the conflict. A fight ensured and he then smashed the windows of my car in front of my passenger who is the witness in this case.  The next morning he laid charges of assault against both of us. I typed out a statement and laid a charge against him. A few days later both I and my witness were arrested and immediately released after being fingerprinted and given notice to appear in court on the 15th of July 2020. The police ignored the High Court Restraining Order against him and did not want me to include it in the file when I laid charges, I have insisted that it be placed in the file. The individual has a long criminal record and has assaulted many members of the Yacht club we were visiting, including the Commodore. The members are afraid to get involved because of his violent nature and threats to "ram his fist down their throats" if they defend me. 

What will happen on the 15th? Do I need a laywer present in the Wynberg Magistrates Court? 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 04-07-2020 21:25:38

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Yes, you should get a lawyer to represent you on the 15th. 

Just because the SAPS won't include the information in the docket, doesn't mean that you can't give the information to the prosecutor!

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.