Good day,I would like to know what does ...

Asked by Randomguy on 24-06-2020 10:52:52
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 0.00

Good day,

I would like to know what does the law states when it comes to renting out a property?

My neighbour decided to build a flat and rent out the flat, convert the garage into a flat and rent out the garage flat as well AND renting out his house all to tenants. We don't know how many people are actually staying on the property, but daily we see about 10 people on the property and everyday they make noise and play loud music.

I spoke to some of the tenants and they are arrogant and refuse to listen when I ask to lower the music volume. I have asked the police and they said they can't do anything until after a certain time at night.

The land lord has blocked my number because I asked him a couple times and sent him video material of how badly his tenants are behaving. He does not sign proper leasing aggreements, he is just after the money.

So my question is, how many tenants are you allowed to have/rent on your property and what can I do about this behaviour coming from this property with arrogant tenants and an arrogant land lord who does not respect nor consider the peoples privacy and their well being?

I will greatly appreciate any help as this is now going on for more than almost 2 years and I have a lot of video material of how they behave if ever needed.



Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 04-07-2020 21:30:52

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Building flats on the property might be in contravention of building regulations, so perhaps report this to the City building inspectors and ask them to investigate. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.