Hi there My question is this:We are rent...

Asked by Anonymous on 06-07-2020 13:10:43
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape

Hi there My question is this:We are renting out our home, furnished. We have a prospective tenant who is honest about his poor credit record. Consequently he has offered to pay cash upfront. The lease will be for 3 months, and he will pay 2 months deposit (includes 1 month 'damages deposit'), so he will pay 5 months upfront. In the event he is unable to continue paying after expiry of the lease, how can we protect ourselves from him claiming Squatter rights and refusing to move out? He will be living here on his own, but he plans to make an arrangement to have his two underage daughters (14 and 16) live here with him, on a 'one-week-on, one-week-off' basis. It is a 3 bedroom home.  He is South African.Will we be entitled to take occupation of our own property after the lease expires if he is Squatting in the home?  In other words will we be legally entitled to move in and live in our property with him, if he doesnt pay and refuses to move out.thanksJeannePS YOUR WEBSITE IS VERY CUMBERSOME. I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR HOURS TO SUBMIT THIS QUESTION. I KEEP GETTING BOUNCED OUT WHEN I TRY TO SUBMIT....

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 08-07-2020 21:26:00

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Q: Will we be entitled to take occupation of our own property after the lease expires if he is Squatting in the home? --> Yes, but you will need to do this though a court eviction procedure which could take between 6 and 9 months. It is just the risk that you need to accept if you want to rent out your house! It might take a long time to get a defaulting tenant out. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.