Good day,End of June 2020 I paid over a ...

Asked by Ivan on 30-07-2020 13:43:53
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape

Good day,

End of June 2020 I paid over a R13000.00 deposit for a Rental Property I was interested in renting with occupation starting 1st August 2020.I did this as the Agent informed me that if I want to secure the property I need to pay it immediately as there are other interested tenants. The agreed terms were:

R13000.00 per month which will include water and then R1500.00 per month for Electricity. Thus Total R14500.00 per month. After I paid over the deposit I asked for the contract on numouras occasions, this was not forthcoming (note the agent was apperantly in Hospital) and eventuall y i was instructed to meet with the owner on the 25th of July to finalise the cotact. During our meeting I was informed that the new terms are:

R13000.00 per month of which R1000.00 will be allocated towards water costs, everything above this is for our own account and Electricity remains at R1500.00 but I will also be liable for the total Utility charges from the municipality with exception of the Rates and Taxes. They could not give me a definite amount but gave me an estimate of R+/- 1500.00 - R2000.00 per month.

Based on these new terms I cannot afford the property and informed them as such. They now refuse to pay back my deposit stating that they have reserved the property for me and now dont have tenants for it.

Do I have a rigth to claim my deposit. Note that I have not taken accopancy of the propoerty.

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 08-08-2020 18:25:57

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Yes, you DEFINITELY have the right to claim your deposit back! 

You need to go see the Housing Rental Tribunal and lay a complaint with them against the landlord. Tell them the full story and they will assist you in getting the deposit back. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.