I'm just looking for advise on debt repa...

Asked by frans on 03-08-2020 15:31:04
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Gauteng

I'm just looking for advise on debt repayment once I'm immigrating, what are my options say if I lose my job overseas as a Permanent Resident and I'm unable to pay my monthly installments, will they be able to criminally charge me for outstanding debt?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 03-08-2020 15:44:40

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Absolutely not, they are NOT able to charge you criminally. The reason for this is that no crime has been committed. You are involved in a civil dispute with the company, not a criminal dispute. If they try to file a complaint with SAPS, SAPS will literally laugh at them and tell them to go see a lawyer. A lawyer would then need to draw up a summons and have that served on you, before they could go to court to get a judgment. There will then be plenty of time for you to defend the claim, or to enter into a settlement agreement with them.

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

Information provided by client

Thank you,
"There will then be plenty of time for you to defend the claim, or to enter into a settlement agreement with them."
Ii I they then want to serve a summons on me while I'm abroad, will they be able to proceed without me, and will that judgement then result in a criminal offence?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 03-08-2020 16:37:03

No. They will need to serve the summons on you in terms of the Rules of Court. If they have a domicilium for you, they could serve it on that address. Otherwise, they need to serve it on you personally, or where you live, or where you work. If you don't live / work in SA, then their only option is personal service. 

No civil judgement will EVER lead to a criminal offence! Never

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.