HelloI have one son, never married, 6 ye...

Asked by MeganM on 18-01-2021 23:15:05
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng


I have one son, never married, 6 years of age

I want to complete the J101 form for maintenance application

Currently only have a parenting plan, with a requirement to pay R2000.00 p.m which I would like raised.

I need to know whether i split the rent and expenses by 2, or by 3? I went to the court and spoke to a clerk who said my portion of expenses will be 2/3 and my kids will be 1/3. Eg. If rent is R6000, he is allocated R2000 of the rent expense?

Is this correct?


Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 19-01-2021 16:16:43

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Yes, in general, that's how the court deals with the split.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.