The father of my child has not acknowled...

Asked by CaliB94 on 14-08-2020 11:21:08
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

The father of my child has not acknowledged her since birth, even though he agreed to co-parent and to provide for her prior to her birth. I would like for him to get to court ordered paternity test and to pay maintenance. I'd also like to know if it's possible that he has no rights to my child as I have, on multiple occasions, tried to involve him in her life even before birth (I've got messages to prove this and to prove that he agreed to provide for her upon birth) - he has now refused to put his name on her birth certificate, he is involved in illegal business dealings and his family home life is very unstable (I.e. brother is a drug addict for 20+ years, mother is on multiple medications for depression) and I would not be comfortable with my child being in that environment. What actions can I take regarding this situation?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 20-08-2020 11:14:41

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You must apply to the Maintenance Court for an order requiring him to pay maintenance to the child.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.