Hi. My mother owns a property that is in...

Asked by Tessa on 25-08-2020 06:42:01
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Limpopo


My mother owns a property that is in a Family trust. This is the only asset in the trust. My father died a year ago and so my mom wants to sell the place. She has received an offer of someone wanting to buy the place but with the rent to own option. They are willing to pay a deposit and then the rest over 5 years. 

I need to know how will the transfer of this work? Will it even be possible? The buyer mentioned that he will be willing to take over the trust, is it legal to do this? Also what would the tax implication be as well as the transfer costs? 

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 26-08-2020 16:03:57

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

The normal way of disposing the asset would be for the Trust to sell the property to the purchaser. The purchaser would pay the purchase price to the trustees, who would then distribute the proceeds to the beneficiaries of the trust. 

It is important that the trustees sign the offer to purchase jointly as sellers. If your Mom is only one of the trustees, she will need the other trustees to agree to sell the property and sign the offer to purchase.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.