Hi there,I was staying in a place for on...

Asked by Anrich on 25-08-2020 12:37:08
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Eastern Cape

Hi there,

I was staying in a place for one month and then lockdown was enforced and the university enstructed students to go back home. I then went back home to my parents home. 

The owner of the place where I was staying never gave me a written contract and just sent me a voicenote stating what the rent will be. I never replied to the message. I payed for the month that I stayed. 

Five months into lock down I receive a email from the owner saying that I owe him money for the months that I wasn't staying there. 

As there was no contract or terms and conditions just a voicenote that I never replied on. What is my rights?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 26-08-2020 15:59:54

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

I think that the fact that you moved into the flat indicates that you accepted his voice note, and that there is a legal agreement between the two of you - even if it is an implied agreement. 

You need to give the landlord notice of cancellation of your lease now. 

Regarding the arrears for the last 4 months, you might have a problem...

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.