Good afternoon,This partains more to lab...

Asked by frederic_w on 26-08-2020 14:42:26
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Good afternoon,

This partains more to labour law but I'm going to ask anyway.

The company I work for is deemed as essential services. When the national lock down started we continued to operate. My boss called us in and decided to split into 2 teams, if 1 member of a team gets the virus, the other team can step in while the first team gets quarantined. This was to ensure business can continue if someone gets the virus. At the time when this meeting was hel there was no talks about cutting salaries or taking leave days whatsoever. 1 Team worked 1 weeek and the athor team the other week.

Then at the end of July both teams had meetings and they informed us that we might only get paid for 2 weeks from now on, depending on whether or not they get money from the UIF TERS. We were also informed that the company didn't apply for this benefit at the start of the lockdown, but only at the end of July.

Last week we got an email that said we will now only get paid for 2 weeks going forward as the company needs to make sure it meets all of its repspective commitments. 

While the company claims to suffer due to covid19, we operated the whole time and the company is still going forward with renovations through out this pandemic.

I woud just like to know what can we as the employees do, and would a case like this stand in the court of law (or at the ccma).

Kind regards, 


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.